[cfe-dev] CFSTR and NSConstantString

David Chisnall csdavec at swan.ac.uk
Fri Jan 22 13:33:57 CST 2010

Hello the list,

We'd like to be able to support CFSTR() with GNUstep emitting NSConstantString instances.  There are three ways that I can do this:

1) Make CodeGenModule::GetAddrOfConstantCFString() check if the gnu runtime is being used and call the CGObjCRuntime function to emit the string if it is.

2) Add a new builtin, __builtin___NSStringMakeConstantString(), which behaves exactly like __builtin___CFStringMakeConstantString() but emits a new ObjC constant string, rather than a new CF string (although, with the Mac runtimes, they will be the same thing anyway).

3) Add a new option, like -fcfstrings-as-nsstrings which makes CF strings into NSStrings.

My preference is on the first option, although largely because it's the least effort for me.  Does anyone have any preferences or objections?

-- Sent from my IBM 1620